New Delhi: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath on Saturday inaugurated the first prototype train of the Kanpur and Agra Metro projects via video conferencing.
Adityanath expressed his delight at fulfilling Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s vision of ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat’ or a self-reliant India.
ALSO READ | Curtains Down For Captain! Sunil Jakhar Frontrunner For New Punjab CM Post – All You Need To Know
“The first prototype train of the Kanpur and Agra Metro was unveiled today in order to realize the vision of ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat’ of respected Prime Minister Shri @narendramodi. Metro is the necessity of today and a great means of public transport,” he tweeted in Hindi.
The Chief Minister in his address said it is a matter of pride to be invited for the inauguration of the first-ever prototype train of Kanpur and Agra Metro.
“Congratulations to the Uttar Pradesh Metro Rail Corporation (UPMRC) and Alstom Transport India Limited for this. This is a matter of pride for us,” he added, ANI reported.
Adityanath also lauded the efforts of the UPMRC personnel for working tirelessly even during the Covid-19 pandemic.
“We have seen how UP Metro Rail Corporation worked during the Covid crisis. They worked tirelessly and even Covid could not be an obstacle for them,” he said.
Asserting metro is now a necessity, the Chief Minister further said efforts are underway to bring metro trains to Varanasi, Prayagraj, Jhansi, Meerut and Gorakhpur.
The unveiling of the coaches was done at Alstom’s manufacturing facility in Gujarat in the presence of Uttar Pradesh Metro Rail Corporation Managing Director Kumar Keshav and Alstom India Managing Director Alain Spohr.
Here’s all you need to know about the metro projects and new train coaches:
- French multinational rolling stock manufacturer Alstom, which is responsible for the delivery of Kanpur and Agra metro rolling stocks and signaling, has provided the train sets
- These metro trains are 100 percent indigenously manufactured at the facility in Gujarat’s Savli
- Each train will accommodate approximately 960 passengers in the three-car configuration.
- The trains will be equipped with FLEXX metro bogies and the MITRAC propulsion system to increase energy efficiency, reduce operating costs and ensure the new trains meet the highest environmental standards
- Valued at approximately Rs 2,051 crore, Alstom’s scope on the Agra-Kanpur metro project includes design, build and delivery of 201 metro cars and an advanced signalling solution
- The new metro trains will benefit around 5 million citizens in Kanpur