Last Updated:
From ‘law is equal for all’ to ‘you will perish like Lanka’ — Bandi Sanjay’s words grew sharper as his son’s charges grew graver.
Bandi Sanjay Son Bageerath Arrest: His photos, videos, and the ‘repeat offender’ angle spread rapidly online, turning Bageerath into a national talking point.
Bandi Sai Bageerath, 25, son of Union Minister of State for Home Affairs Bandi Sanjay Kumar, is in Cherlapally Central Prison, Hyderabad, remanded till May 29 in a POCSO case involving a 17-year-old girl. The charges against him have grown graver with every court date — and so has the political storm around his father.
The case began on May 8, when the girl’s mother filed a complaint at Petbasheerabad Police Station. The complaint alleges Bageerath approached her minor daughter through mutual contacts in June 2025 — first in person, then via Instagram and Snapchat — and gradually drew her into a relationship on false promises of marriage, exercising continuous psychological control, restricting her educational decisions and isolating her from independent choices.
Charges were initially filed under sections dealing with outraging modesty and sexual harassment. Then the girl’s statement was recorded — and everything escalated.
What Happened On New Year’s Eve?
The most serious night detailed in the complaint is New Year’s Eve. The minor was at a farmhouse in Moinabad with Bageerath and a group of friends. Despite resistance, she was pressured to consume alcohol. Between 1.30 and 2.30 am, Bageerath — intoxicated — entered her room and forcibly subjected her to physical acts. The SIT is now set to recreate the sequence of events at this Moinabad farmhouse as part of its ongoing inquiry.
Two Self-Harm Attempts, Then A Counter-Case
After Bageerath abruptly ended the relationship on January 7, the victim attempted self-harm on January 19 and January 26, 2026. On May 8 — the same day the girl’s family went to police — Bageerath filed a counter-complaint at Karimnagar, alleging her parents tried to extort Rs 5 crore from him, threatening their daughter would die by suicide if the money was not paid. Police have so far named only Bageerath as accused.
Why Did It Take 10 Days To Arrest A Union Minister’s Son?
The FIR was registered on May 8 — just a day before PM Modi’s Hyderabad visit. The Telangana DGP said police hadn’t been able to act because they were tied up with security arrangements for the Prime Minister’s visit, with about 9,000 uniformed personnel drafted for it.
Despite the POCSO case swirling around his family, Bandi Sanjay was among the select invitees receiving Modi at Begumpet Airport and later participated in official and public meetings — a presence that raised eyebrows across political circles.
Police said it was only after the prime minister’s visit that they appointed a woman IPS officer as investigating officer and dispatched five special teams to trace Bageerath, also issuing a lookout notice to prevent him from leaving the country.
Did The Minister Meet The Victim’s Family?
This is the detail that has set social media ablaze. The mother’s complaint alleges that on April 23, a man named Sangappa — claiming association with influential persons — facilitated a meeting with Union Minister Bandi Sanjay Kumar himself.
During this meeting, she alleges, they were subjected to indirect pressure to compromise and were advised to sign documents at Nirmal police station. The family said the meeting caused fear and intimidation.
From ‘Law Is Equal’ To ‘You Will Perish’
Bandi Sanjay initially said “all are equal before the law” and that anyone found guilty must face punishment. As pressure mounted, his tone shifted. He warned rivals: “You have upset my supporters. You have put my party in a tight spot. You will perish in the fire you yourselves lit, like Hanuman did to Lanka.”
He has also approached a Hyderabad civil court seeking removal of allegedly defamatory content against him from 23 television channels, YouTube and social media platforms.
What Happens Next?
The Telangana High Court has reserved its order on Bageerath’s anticipatory bail application for May 21. The new charge under Section 64(2)(m) of BNS — repeated aggravated sexual assault on the same person, carrying a minimum of 10 years in prison extendable to life — makes bail significantly harder to obtain.
Meanwhile, opposition parties are demanding Bandi Sanjay’s removal from the Union Cabinet, a demand the BJP — according to reports — has so far firmly rejected.
Read More






